About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

THE LAST THING!

We've made it! Thing 13. Congratulations for sticking with the program, perhaps stepping out of your comfort zone, and being so willing to try new things. I hope you've found some benefits in experimenting with a few new tools and reading each others reactions to them. I know I have!

We'll keep things simple for our last THING.

Thing 13 is REFLECTION. Write a post reflecting on your summer Web 2.0 experience. Did this turn out to be what you expected when you started? Did you discover anything new that could be helpful in your day-to-day activities? How did you feel about "self-discovering" as opposed to coming to a workshop (bound by time and date)?

One idea for reflecting is to create a word cloud using Wordle. Wordle generates "word clouds" from words that you supply. Wordle gives weight to words that are repeated in your supply of words. You can create a Wordle by supplying the URL of your blog.

Wordle: 13ThingsatCoe

This is the Wordle of the 13Things blog. I talk Google a lot!

You can create a Wordle and link it to your final reflection blog post. You'll have to save it to the public gallery, but this does not require you to create a user name or password (whew!) After saving to the public gallery, your Wordle will have a unique URL that you can link to from your blog post.

Here is an interesting use of Wordles to compare presidential inauguration speeches.


Minor Housekeeping:
  1. The iPad is sitting on my shelf waiting for a new home! I'll tally results on Monday evening (just for the benefit of everybody that works best in the last minute!).
  2. Brewed Awakening gift cards will find their rightful homes next week.
  3. Don't worry if you didn't get as far as you wanted - I will leave this blog open and you are free to re-visit as you have time and inclination.
And lastly, a big THANK YOU to everyone participating. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of people signing up and sticking it out.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Wordle. I did a really neat project for my middle school youth group kids for Christmas last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I used a similar one, "Tag Cloud," in my rhetorical theory class to analyze use of words in various documents. It really helped the more visual learners. Making words into pictures--how cool!

    I'm thinking Wordle might help a church committee I'm on as we determine the past and future mission of our church . . . so many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! This was great.

    Looks like 19 or so folks completed the project. Can't wait to see who wins the iPad. So...is this a "draw out of a hat" kind of win?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - I'll put all the names of those that completed the 13 Things into a hat and have Marie draw a winner.

    ReplyDelete