About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 6: Video Killed the Radio Star

There had to be a first: 33 years ago this summer, MTV (Music Television) launched their broadcast with the Buggle's "Video Killed The Radio Star."

Watch the video on YouTube by clicking HERE.  And note, when you open the video in YouTube, you'll more than likely get a quick advertisement attached to the beginning of the video. You'll have the option to skip the ad after a few seconds. That was enough time for me to find out the first two times I pulled up the video the ads were selling female personal hygiene products and make up. You'll also see links to other similar videos; gems by Tommy Tutone (anybody remember who you'll get if you call 867-5309?) and Men Without Hats (where are their hats?)

Now, watch the video HERE. For this link I'm using a free online service called SafeShare.TV.  This service offers you a way to watch and share YouTube videos with advertisement and other external content removed. By copying and pasting the YouTube link into SafeShare. TV you'll get a URL to a page with just the video; no other advertisements and no similar suggested videos queuing up. You can even customize the name and background colors.  

Benefits: create SafeShare links for short video clips you might show in class or in a meeting. You can post the links to your Moodle page, PowerPoint, or create a Google Doc to hold your links. Or email the links to your group prior to meeting. No more awkwardness when a questionable ad pops up or unusual video links show up at the end of your video.

Note: occasionally a video on YouTube is set for "no embedding." When this happens you won't be able to use a service like SafeShare.

Other Video Tools You Might Find Helpful

 Zaption: is a tool for creating video-based quizzes or embedding extra content within videos. You can sign in with your Google account credentials or create your own user account. Free services allow you to add text, images, drawings, multiple choice/check box questions and open ended questions to the video.

While you're not capturing any user credentials (unless your first embedded questions is "Name"), you will see data on how viewers answered questions and distribution of answers, how much time they spent in the video, dates of viewing and more.

Video can be embedded from YouTube, Vimeo, NatGeo, TED, Discovery, NASA, edutopia, VSauce, CrashCourse, SciShow, CGP Gallery or you can upload your own videos.


Edited videos are referred to as "Tours" - here's a sample I created: Zombie Training.
Or view the Zaption Gallery for more examples, then try your own!

If you like the Common Craft style videos (I use them frequently - see Zombie Training above - and they are usually titled "In Plain English"), check out Wideo.  This is for you if you want to try your hand at the entire video creation; you can copy another Wideo from the gallery (if the creator has set it up for copying) or you can start from scratch. This is a fun tool, you'll feel like a movie producer! It's helpful to work through some of the tutorials before diving into Wideo. Warning: Wideo can be time consuming!

Lastly; I have a new tool in my office called a "Swivl". If you've ever considered recording yourself teaching for the purpose of improving your teaching methods, or perhaps capturing a portion of your class for student review or flipping, the Swivl would be a great asset. It holds an iPad, which is the recoding device. The Swivl uses follow-technology to track you (you'd be wearing a small dongle so the Swivel can find you) while you teach and move throughout the room. Drop me an email if you'd like to check it out.
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Lisa, these resources look so fun and useful! I really appreciate how you are always looking for new ways to share information! I can't wait to use these in class and with students! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not crazy about videos. I'm an old-fashioned reading-type learner. Still, I try to find useful videos to show in class or have my students view as part of their studies.

    Because I don't lecture or teach people how to do stuff that they need to watch, it's not likely that I'll be making videos for my students--unless I decide to teach them to crochet! So I probably won't use Zaption or Wideo.

    But last year I found a tool that my students found very useful. It's called Videonot.es, and it allows a viewer to take notes that are synchronized with a video. So if they are analyzing a presidential speech or a music video, they can keep the notes about what's happening cued up with the video itself! That's pretty cool. Somehow you link it in to your Google Drive.

    As for ad-free videos, awesome idea! I like that tool and will use it when I share videos in class/with my students! (Those pre-video ads are very distracting in a class!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the no-ad video. I wasn't aware of that and will certainly look into that for presentations, etc. It is always annoying when the ads pop up!

    Short videos are great for marketing purposes, or conveying important information in a more entertaining way. I was recently told about Animoto as a good video making site as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SafeShare is a great idea for embedding/including videos in presentations. I have seen services like this but they are usually scripts or add-ons to browsers. A dedicated site like this is great to have videos that will load on cue without having to wait for the ads to finish.

    I really like Zaption and had not seen it before. I already have ideas of how I can modify some current presentations using Zaption so they can function like individual learning modules, instead of in large groups.

    Lisa - you are 2 for 2 this week (as usual) for tools I will use in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa for showing us different ways to use some of this software. I usually tolerate the ads knowing this is how I can access all of this free.

    Have to say....loved watching the MTV video...ooooohhh the '80's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are good to know about. I've used video clips to illustrate, in particular, argument structure. Monty Python is particularly good for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruce, do you ever show the "Is she a witch?" scene from 'Holy Grail'? While it seems to relate to research methods for its "scientific" approach, I actually use it to demonstrate the 'representative heuristic' because the "logic" is based on how a witch is LIKE other things (e.g., wood, a duck).

      Delete
  7. In one of my classes, I often show a brief movie clip as a way of introducing that day’s concept. I originally ‘clipped’ the scenes from VHS tapes and DVDs and then converted them to electronic files that I incorporated into my PowerPoint presentations. However, over the years, it seems like the quality of the videos has gotten worse. Perhaps that is more of a perceptual issue that an actual technological one; however, based on the advice of some students, I have found of few of the scenes available on YouTube. Thus, SafeShare will especially come in handy when I use those videos in class.
    With regards to making movies, I’m not sure, off the top of my head, what type of videos I would create myself, but I could see offering that as a possible assignment to Intro Psych students. If I get enough good videos, I could use them to teach the entire course! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the big cart I had containing a computer connected to a VHS/Digital converter? The two of us spent one summer with that thing in the lobby of Peterson, going through your VHS tapes and converting clips to DVD. We were so cutting edge! No more ejecting and inserting tapes, no more fast forwarding and rewinding! Twenty tapes down to just one DVD!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the SafeShare tip! Given the trend of more, longer, and more intrusive ads, showing web videos in class was getting troublesome. I hope this will keep the ads at bay for a while (yes, I've used She's a Witch as well as the Dead Parrot sketch, the Argument Clinic, and several others in classes, always with the most impeccable of instructional goals).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've bookmarked SafeShare. Now if only it could remove the ads in Scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How far can swivl track? Interested in seeing if it could be used on a field to a player/coach....

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is great. I fantastic way to put video into our Subject guides. thanks Lisa. I'm anxious to look at the others too. Sorry it has taken so long for me to realize I hadn't looked at this post.

    ReplyDelete