About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The 2nd Day of Christmas...online scheduling

Have you ever tried to find a common free time to meet with multiple people? Did it involve multiple emails, and you with a grid scribbled on scratch paper trying to figure out how many people were free at 3pm on Wednesdays? There's an easier way.

Doodle.com is an easy, online scheduling tool. Click "Schedule an event" to get started. You'll give your event a name, an optional description, and your name. If you provide an email address, you'll get an email every time someone updates your Doodle.

Next, select the dates and then times you would consider for your meeting times (your invitees will put a check mark next to each date/time they'd be available).

You'll get a URL to send via email. Here is an example of an invitation. You'll also get an administration link (to see results, make changes). Both of these links will get emailed to you.


Give it a try!

14 comments:

  1. we used this during our athletic training interview process and it worked great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used this to try to schedule a staff lunch. Jury still out on whether it works any better than our usual method of throwing out a day only for Ryan to have a conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had used Doodle before which is very nice for scheduling meetings when everyone needs to meet together at a common time. However when you are requesting students to schedule appointments in a certain window of days, I like to set up a simple spreadsheet in Google docs for them to slot their time. Both applications make scheduling so much better than using email!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I will definitely use it the next time I have to schedule a conference call with people in 3 different time zones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate email back up and meeting scheduling is the number one thing that can do it! I have used this with many groups from students to conference planning teams. It has been extremely affective and time saving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspect we can do something like this with GoogleCalendar, no? Even if not, I like the potential it has for non-Coe meetings. As a matter a fact, I think an off-campus group with whom I worked with last winter used it. Regarding straight scheduling, I have used Moodle 'scheduler', which works okay -- as long as students log onto Moodle. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it just me, or does it seem like there is a web application for everything?

    I hadn't heard of this before, but I will definitely keep it in mind for future scheduling needs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems like another neat application, especially for setting up interview times or scheduling an entire day of "meetings" that require individual time slots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lincnlewn: Yes, there is a function on Google Calendars that allows you to search free time on others calendars. That works if a) you're scheduling with all people at Coe, or you have access to their non-Coe Google calendar, and b) the people you're scheduling with actually use their Google calendars! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this would be a very useful tool... even if I only used it for personal reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely need to use this! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Might be worth trying for those who schedule meetings with multiple people. But you already know going in that, if more than 3 people are involved and a standing meeting time is not already set aside, there will not exist a conflict free time to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous! I've used meetingwizard, which is very similar. Online scheduling has simplified my life and made me a happy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea. I have not used Doodle before, but have used Google calendar and responded to one that Jenni has used.

    ReplyDelete