About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The 3rd Day of Christmas...online picture editing

Have you ever gotten a photo email attachment and opened it, only to find the picture was so big the only thing you could see on your screen without scrolling was a NOSE?

Picnik is an online photo editor. Picnik allows you to upload a photo, change it's size, add embellishments (like text, frames or effects like sepia tone) and then re-save the photo to your computer. You do not need to create an account. If you choose to create a free account, you'll be able to upload multiple images and make collages. Picnik also offers "premium" services; meaning you can pay a small membership fee and have access to more features.

This is an example of a photo I edited in Picnik. I changed the size, added text and add a frame.

You'll find lots of seasonal features (you can create your holiday cards, or add Christmas stickers to your photos, or if you're a football fan, you can add face paint to your photos in your team colors!)

To resize photos to appropriate sizes to email or put on a blog, upload a photo. You'll be in the "edit" tab; click "resize" from the sub menu list. Make one of your dimensions somewhere between 300 and 500 pixels (dimensions are locked, so you only need to change horizontal OR vertical).

Check it out!

13 comments:

  1. I've used this previously and it was a breeze

    ReplyDelete
  2. This can be quite useful, though picnik can also be used for evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh...can these classes BE more fun! I just happened to have a flash drive of some old Scout pictures with me since we just got done with our Eagle ceremony. We could have used Picnik to create some fun borders for our table tents! I updated my old 13 Things blog for these comments and pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter and I have created some great photos using Picnik. I used it recently to edit a bunch a pictures. I purchased the one year subscription, as it allows you to upload up to 100 photos at a time, instead of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, I haven't heard of picnik. I am going to have to check it out. I may use it for pictures for our service-learning blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the t-shirt, Lisa. You know, the Dartmouth bookstore also sells Dr. Seuss hats. (I almost put one on my holiday list.) Looks like it could be a useful site. I use iPhoto for basic editing, but this seems as if it allows for more effects. Of couse, the key question is 'Can it add hair??!!' ;-\

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one I had to try out for myself. It was very easy and fun to use. Much easier than the e-card I tried to send earlier today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Picnik is AWESOME. I just created a Christmas card in less than 10 minutes. Super slick and easy to use. Thanks for sharing this site with us, Lisa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love picnik! Just wish I had more time to play!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great website! I've seen people do this before, but I didn't know where they got it from! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This could actually be fun. Since I am just sitting her proctoring a final exam this morning, I may have to see if I can get into any trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've used picnik often and am hooked. In fact, many of the photos I've posted on Facebook have been edited using picnik.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great site! I have not used picnik before but it seems easy and fun! I like "free" also! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete