About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

On the 10th Day of Christmas...Mind Mapping

Bubbl.us is an online tool for brainstorming or mind mapping. You remember brainstorming from your earlier education days, right? You start with a concept, usually in a bubble in the middle of a page. Then you start thinking of all of the other related concepts (in bubbles surrounding the initial concept). Brainstorming helped you look at all angles of the concept, to sort out related items and visualize connections. Mind mapping is similar, except the concepts are things you know or you are studying, and you are connecting them to other things you know (or are studying).

We probably have a pretty good idea of how to help our students or fellow staff utilize brainstorming techniques, but have you considered helping them create mind maps (sometimes referred to as concept maps, too) of new concepts being introduced in class? For instance, in our Pagan & Religious Holidays 101 course, as we introduced Christmas, what relationship does it have to All Saints Eve? How does it connect to holidays that share both pagan and religious roots? How does it connect to holidays with a central (or two) male figure? Helping students tie new information to content they've already mastered has ties to constructivist learning theories.

Here's my mind map of ME (created on Bubbl.us and exported as an image):

To create your own:
  1. Go to bubbl.us and click "Start Brainstorming"
  2. Put your mouse over the "start here' bubble that appears. If you click the words (Start Here), you'll be able to edit them. With your mouse held over the bubble, you can get tool tips for each of the options in the bubble (for instance, to add a child-bubble, use the icon in the middle on the bottom - the tool tip says "Child Bubble: create new child bubble).
  3. A free account will allow you to share your bubble with other collaborators, save it online for future additions, or get an embed code
  4. Without an account, you can export your work as an image. There is a small "Menu" button in the lower-right hand corner. Export as .jpg or .png to suite your needs.
Let the brainstorming begin!

13 comments:

  1. This is pretty user friendly...although much like creating org charts in PPT. It certainly will be a thought I keep in mind when doing any documents that can be more visual in assembling facts rather than standard lists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am preparing for Spring Training with our student staff. I love how you described yourself in a "bubble." This may be a great icebreaker or team building exercise for students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat site. Perfect for brainstorming without wasting paper or ink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. not sure how much I would use this in my classes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how flexible this website seems. Sometimes PPT and word charts are too rigid to get exactly what I picture in my head. Thanks for showing this to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apparently, my mind doesn't work this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting idea. But I think I will stick to my paper and pencil. I think I can get more done much faster using "old technology".

    ReplyDelete
  8. For personal brainstorming I'm a fan of paper and pencil myself. But, to share an idea with a group this looks more professional and is easy to use. It could also be useful in group brainstorming, if more than one person can edit it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that Steve uses this idea to make topic connections in his gen chem class. I have used it on the chalk board for complicated subjects to show relatedness of biochemical pathways. It sure is much neater than my scribbles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am intrigued by this, particularly in being able to save and modify the maps. I can see using it to encourage my students in research or seminar to organize their thoughts before writing. Or maybe to help myself wrap my brain around years of research data!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This could be a handy tool in and out of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like bubbl.us. I think it could be helpful in many ways both for myself and my kids with their school work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While intriguing, this site is not of use to me. I can see how it would be very useful in a classroom setting, though, trying to engage all of the learners in a class.

    ReplyDelete