About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

On the 11th Day of Christmas...a visual thesaurus

Used with permission
from DiscoveryEducation
The word is right there on the tip of your tongue...but you just can't make it come out! You've got lots of other words that mean something close...but just not the right word.

You need a visual thesaurus. A visual thesaurus shows you all the synonyms to your word, plus, with a click of the mouse allows you to drill deeper into one of the related words, and then see all of the synonyms to THAT word. Somewhere in that exercise, you'll find the perfect word.

The Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus is actually a commercial tool, with a limited free interface. Even with it's limitations (you'll have to click "try" when you first start, and you'll be limited to a handful of drill downs) the tool is rich. Enter a word you'd like to explore, and you'll get a pop up application with all the related words, plus definitions of your original word. Click any of the related words, and get a new view. You can print with the free trial, but you won't be able to save your word searches or share them. A membership will cost $19.95/year. Also worth noting is the information included on the main Visual Thesaurus website: a word of the day section, a blog feed written by writers talking about writing, featured word lists, lesson plans and more.

Other visual thesuarus tools to try:
  • Visiwords: very similar to The Visual Thesaurus, but not quite as robust: you don't get the drill-down functions, and you'll have to decode the color codes to determine meanings based on word type (nouns have a purple background)
  • Lexipedia: again, very similar in visuals, but this one, in my humble opinion, is a bit easier to read than Visiwords. Mouse-over tips help you decipher color coding, and you can show or hide different word forms (keep nouns, hide verbs when applicable).
  • The benefit that both Visiwords and Lexipedia have over The Visual Thesaurus is that they are free (open source).
Go ahead, start visualizing!

By the way...if you have kids, these are great tools for vocabulary building.

13 comments:

  1. I love all these new topics to share with my son! Lexipedia is perfect for that quick word you need in a hurry...but Visiwords was great for the detail you might need if you are doing creative writing. I didn't so much like Thinkmap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are all neat sites- I too liked Viswords

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great. I try to find three words each mid term reviews to describe my staff members like professional, personal, and prepared. These sites will be a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including the free versions! These will be fun to play with next time I'm stuck on a word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a writer, these sites are a great value. As a cheapskate, I value the free sites much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These could prove useful as well as fun. But I won't get rid of the thesaurus on my shelf just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiwords is my favorite here. Great tips, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another useful tool. I liked Lexipedia. Thinkmap was nice as well, but you can't beat free. I will definatly look into using this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed playing with both Visiwords and Lexipedia. Like Cal, I keep a thesaurus by my desk, but these are fun electronic alternatives ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I may 'cotton' to this visual thesaurus thing, though when Lexipedia failed to yield any results for 'ambivalent', I found that 'confusing', 'baffling', 'bewildering', 'puzzling', 'perplexing', 'mystifying', 'incomprehensible', . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these -- adding to my favorites! Thanks, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Teresa... so many interesting sites to share with my kids. Think alot of them could be very useful when they are doing school work or writing projects etc.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get engrossed in the dictionary and thesaurus, so this was fascinating to me. I may use it the next time I'm looking for a word other than "share" to use while writing meeting minutes.

    ReplyDelete