About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Friday, December 10, 2010

On the 7th Day of Christmas...Mashups

Make up?
Mess up?
Hush up?
Push up?
Catch up?
Patch up?
Wash up?

No, MASH UP. According to Wikipedia, "a mashup is a web page or application that uses and combines data, presentation or functionality from two or more sources to create new services."

For a visual mashup, think poster presentation meets digital web. Your mashup (or digital poster) can have videos, links to websites, text, audio files, images and more (some mashup sites allow you to embed applications like counters, surveys and games).

Here is an example of a mashup I created called Santa Claus.  I used Middlespot,  a free tool (no registration required) that allows you to combine text, pictures, video, web links and embedded web content on a customizable background. You can share your mashup by sharing the URL or embedding it on your own webpage or blog. If you want to access your mashups on other computers or browsers, you'll need to sign up for an account (free).

A visual mash up is not the only type of mashup. Data mashups combine multiple data sources to allow you to cross reference or cross analyze different data points. Check out DataMasher. With a free account on DataMasher, you can create your own custom data sets; without an account, you can look at data sets created by other users. Data comes from data.gov and other state and federal governmental sources. Bear in mind, this is not considered rigorous statistical analysis--because the data sets are determined by users, and the information on cross-referenced data sets may or may not have a strong relationship. It is, however, a great place to start looking at trends and data, and it's user friendly (and user-generated) and visually appealing.

Try a little mashing of your own today!

18 comments:

  1. The link to your mashup just takes me to the general page :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'm putting my comments, experiments, and reflections about these on my 13things blog. Hope that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jane! I think I've got it fixed.
    Also, thanks for letting me know how to find your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to be honest, when I read the word Mashup, all I could think about was the show Glee. The visual mashup is an interesting concept. When do you think symposium or conference poster sessions will all go to all media content like a web visual poster?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an interesting site here. The possibilities on the web are truly infinite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could think of several different ways to use this..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I was surprised to learn Iowa ranks only 18th in obese people per fast food restaurant, this site probably isn't of much use to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The data masher scared me a bit. I kept thinking about Randy Christiansen saying "correlation does not equal causation"! I think that it would be a great way to manipulate statistics and mislead people. Or, maybe you could use it more ethically.

    I'll try one of the picture mashups--I think I accidentally started creating it on Lisa's account. . . . oops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't find the "poster" mashup to be so valuable, but I found the DataMasher site VERY interesting! It's a great quick way to find some general facts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will need to go back and look at this one a little more. Trying to figure out what I would use that one for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The visual mashup looks interesting! Could be useful for group projects for students. The data mashup might also be good for students trying to compare data/find trends (unless I am mistaken on the uses). Definitely interesting finds! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fun toy. Not sure whether it is at all practical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found the DataMashups fun to look through. But I am with Jane, it has the potential for evil (I'm being dramatic, but the idea is valid).

    I'm not sure about the poster Mashup. I can imagine someone useing it, just not me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely interesting. I am not sure that I would use it any time soon. It might be fun for student projects, especially for summer research.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Regarding your Santa mash-up: Growing up, our family still practiced the feast of Sinterklaas (or, as we knew it, the Catholic feast of St. Nicholas) by waking up on the morning of Dec. 6 to filled stockings on the fireplace hearth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is interesting and could be pretty cool to use.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This reminds me too much of the reports I have to create/use. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Lisa. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete