About 13 Things

Our Summer 2014 version of 13 Things begins the week of May 19. Let the THINGS begin!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

On the 6th Day of Christmas...Tiny URL

You've found what you want more than anything for Christmas on Amazon.com of all places! Now you'd like to send a link to your favorite find to Santa @ north pole dot com. But your link contains 211 characters. It seems long and unwieldy and you're afraid the link will get broken when you email it and Santa will bring you another sweater vest.

TinyURL to the rescue! Copy and paste your LONG link into TinyURL (tinyurl.com). Select a customization if you'd like, or TinyURL will create a random one for you. My 211-character link was shorted to http://tinyurl.com/xmasliwi.

Try it out! Put the Tiny URL of something on your Christmas list in the comments.


By the way: URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator....it's geek-speak for web address. Just in case you didn't know.

14 comments:

  1. Good to know if I should ever need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use this one all the time. It's ideal for Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad to know about this option

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lonnie and Jane. This site is sooo useful and it has been beneficial when sending emails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Perfect for Twitter and texting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://tinyurl.com/2fglcdc
    awesome website!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has its uses. Particularly with those awful URLs that are out there. But URLs are supposed to be descriptive, so that resourses can be located in a uniform manner. If only that practice was actually followed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In e-mails I usually link the URL to a bit of descriptive text. But, this is really useful for anything that doesn't have that option.

    I used it on a book from the Coe library catalog. The link was originally 314 characters! Now it is: http://tinyurl.com/2cqhdvm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about this. It's a great idea and I will definitely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure what's different about this than just using Edit Link in Google Mail in which you can just 'hot link' (if that's the right term) to a url -- without having to go to another web site. Though I do love the Deluxe Surrey. Perhaps the College should use one for Alumni and Homecoming weekends rather than the extended golf cart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Lisa. I will definitely use this the next time I have a long URL to send.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never realized that a URL could be too long. Guess I learned something! If you are sending my list to Santa, please include this tiny url: http://tinyurl.com/26j2bal

    ReplyDelete